September 2014 | 4 P.3d 604, 269 Kan. 114 (Kan. 2000)

In re Marriage of Schoby (Kansas 2000)

The marriage of a minor is not a “terminating event” which automatically allows a payor parent to stop making child support payments for that child. Child support may be modified at any time circumstances render such a change proper, but the modification operates prospectively only. Divorced parents cannot legally reduce child support or terminate the obligation by a contractual agreement or otherwise. It is a right of the child and can only be reduced or terminated by court order.

In re Marriage of Schoby.pdf

Sign up to stay up-to-date with news and resources.

Sign Up

YoungWilliams does not endorse the reports or opinions expressed by non-YoungWilliams authors, nor do we endorse the entities that initially released or published the materials posted on our website.