March 2018 | A-17-203 (Neb. Ct. App. 2018)

Covil v. Covil (Nebraska 2018)

A Nebraska district court can’t modify certain terms of another state’s order. The father and mother were divorced in Florida. The mother moved to Nebraska and received court permission to move with the children. Nebraska registered the Florida order. The Father filed to modify the order in Nebraska. He requested credit for past payments, support from the mother for a period for time he had the children, and an arrears determination. The district court declined to modify the order and the Father appealed. The Court of Appeals found that Nebraska law doesn’t allow for modification of another state’s order, and that the father should have corrected any errors in the Florida order while Florida still had jurisdiction.

Sign up to stay up-to-date with news and resources.

Sign Up

YoungWilliams does not endorse the reports or opinions expressed by non-YoungWilliams authors, nor do we endorse the entities that initially released or published the materials posted on our website.